Most countries are member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and as such have signed the "Chicago Convention 1944" (111 pages, 2 Mb). These rules and regulations in member countries are based on the recommendations of the ICAO.
This is necessary to get a certain guaranteed worldwide standard for airspace, airports, crew licensing and other important aviation safety related matters. These recommendations are published by ICAO in Annexes and Documents. Member countries should then process the recommendations in their aviation law and regulations and make these available to interested parties in paper or electronic form.
Pilots are expected to know the law concerning their flight, aircraft and other regulations of the country they fly in or over. In Europe that can be a challenge as there are as many as there are countries and even one flight can take you easily through three of four of them.
North & South America Area
- IAOPA -- International Counsel of Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- AOPA -- Main office of Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- ICAO -- International Civil Aviation Organization, promotes understanding and security through cooperative aviation regulation
- IATA -- International Air Transport Association is the governing Body that creates regulation for international air transport
- Transport Canada -- Direct link to the AIR section of Transport Canada
- Federal Aviation Administration -- FAA, FARs, pilot licenses and certificates, airports, education and more
- FAA AIM -- FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual, latest version and changes
- FAA AC-20-27g -- Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft
- FAA AC-90-89a -- Amateur-built aircraft and ultralight flight testing handbook
- Experimental Aircraft Association -- On flying experimental aircraft in the US
- Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil - Brasil -- Civil Aviation Administration of Brazil (site is in Portuguese)
Russian / Asian / Pacific Area
Flight Regulations about flying in Europe, European Agencies.
Written by EAI.
- EUROCONTROL -- The European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation
- IAA - Ireland -- The Irish Aviation Authorities
- EASA - Europe -- European Aviation Safety Agency
- Deutsche Flugsicherung -- German AIS site, flight planning and Meteo information
- Skeyes / Belgocontrol -- Belgium AIS site, flight planning and Meteo information
- French Civil Aviation Authority -- SIA, The reference in French aeronautical information
- NaviAir Denmark -- Flight Information Service Denmark
- AROweb -- Self briefing system for Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Finland
- CAA Norway -- The Civil Aviation Authority of Norway's main objective is to contribute to safe civil aviation in Norway
- Transport Styrelsen Sweden -- The Swedish Transport Agency is working to achieve good accessibility, high quality, secure rail, air, sea and road transport
- AOPA Netherlands -- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Dutch branch
- Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport - Dutch -- Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment
- NVAV -- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Amateur Vliegtuigbouw, everything on building experimental aircraft in the Netherlands
- KNVvL -- Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Luchtvaart