Aeronautical Information Publications
To successfully complete a VFR flight current detailed airport and aeronautical information must be collected for the airspace, the departure, destination and diversion airports you intend use.
For this you will need a paper or electronic Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP), Chart Supplement (Airport/Facility Directory) and aeronautical charts.
Current aeronautical information is presented for use by pilots in these publications. A number of AIS have NOTAMs and the AIP online as electronic AIP (eAIP). The organization of airshows usually publish operational procedures on their websites. EUROcontrol published a document containing tips to obtain aeronautical information before starting any flight.
When planning check both sides along your intended route for any pertinent information regarding obstacles, restricted airspaces and for airports along the route, in case of diverting to another airport or circumnavigating weather.
NOTE: make sure to ALWAYS use a current and updated AIP, charts or sectionals!
The text presented below can be used as a basis to start the preflight process. Links to AIS website services (AIP and VFG) are listed below and aviation weather forecasts are available on our weather pages. Should you need to refresh we have a guide on how to read NOTAMs.
Worldwide Aeronautical Information sites
Links to published aviation data worldwide (eAIP too):
- Air Nav -- A worldwide site for planning GA flights, subscription is required for full access
- Jeppesen - Sanderson -- Site for charts (Jepp and Bottlang kits) planning, training and pilotshop
- World Aero Data -- Aeronautical Airport Information from World Aero Data, always check AIP for the most current info!
- AIP New Zealand -- Aeronautical Information Publication New Zealand
- Airways New Zealand -- Airways New Zealand
- Nav Canada -- Aeronautical and Weather Information on Canada
- Airguide Publications, Inc -- US Aeronautical Information published in online, manual and eBook form
- Aero Briefing -- Worldwide access to AIP and Weather
- ANAC Brasil -- ANAC (Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil) is the Brazilian agency responsible for the regulation and the safety oversight of civil aviation. Those of you wanting to fly to Brazil, read ANAC Resolution 178 about the procedures
European Aeronautical Information sites
These sites will help you fly safely through European airspace:
- Eurocontrol eAIP -- Contains links to states currently publishing an Electronic AIP that complies with the EUROCONTROL eAIP
- AIS Netherlands -- Aerodrome Information Service the Netherlands. Authoritative source for aeronautical information about SSR usage, submitting flightplans online, access to electronic publications as AIP, VFR Guide (canceled), AIC-B etc etc. This is a must read when preparing a flight in the Netherlands
- AIS Netherlands -- Aerodrome Information Service the Netherlands, direct link to all electronic publications. This includes current AIP and AIC-B publications.
- LVNL Homebriefing -- Luchtverkeersleiding Nederland Integrated Briefing, the online flightplan and briefing solution.
- Air Traffic Control the Netherlands -- Official site for ATC Netherlands
- PilotFriend -- Airport database, Flight planning, Medical information
- Norway - IPPC -- Internet Pilot Planning Centre, great site with NOTAM, WX, AIP. Recommended reading for flying to Norway
- Germany - DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH -- Die DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH ist für die Flugverkehrskontrolle in Deutschland zuständig
- Germany - Military Airports -- Military Aeronautical Information Publication Germany
- Hungary Aeronautical Information Service -- AIS, NOTAMs, ARO and publications, English part of their site
- Swedish Airports -- Flight planning in Sweden, registration required
- Austro Control -- Austro Control ist verantwortlich für einen sicheren und wirtschaftlichen Ablauf des Flugverkehrs im österreichischen Luftraum
- AIP France -- Service De L'Information Aeronautice, full AIP, AIC and NOTAMs of France
- Belgo Control -- Belgium AIS site, flight planning and Meteo information
- Tactical Air Command Denmark -- Flight Information Service Denmark, Military Aircrews
- AROweb -- Selfbriefing system for Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Finland
written by EAI.