Aeronautical Information Publications
To successfully complete a VFR flight current detailed airport and aeronautical information must be collected for the airspace, the departure, destination and diversion airports you intend use.
For this you will need a paper or electronic Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP), Chart Supplement (Airport/Facility Directory) and aeronautical charts.
Current aeronautical information is presented for use by pilots in these publications. A number of AIS have NOTAMs and the AIP online as electronic AIP (eAIP). The organization of airshows usually publish operational procedures on their websites. EuroControl published a document containing tips to obtain aeronautical information before starting any flight.
When planning check both sides along your intended route for any pertinent information regarding obstacles, restricted airspaces and for airports along the route, in case of diverting to another airport or circumnavigating weather.
NOTE: make sure to ALWAYS use a current and updated AIP, charts or sectionals!
The text presented below can be used as a basis to start the preflight process. Links to AIS website services (AIP and VFG) are listed below and aviation weather forecasts are available on our weather pages. Should you need to refresh we have a guide on how to read NOTAMs.
Americas Aeronautical Information sites
Links to published aviation data (eAIP too):
- Jeppesen - Sanderson -- Site for charts (Jepp and Bottlang kits) planning, training and pilot shop
- US FAA AIP -- Aeronautical Airport Information, digital products from the FAA
- Nav Canada -- Aeronautical and Weather Information in Canada
- ANAC Brasil -- ANAC (Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil) is the Brazilian agency responsible for the regulation and the safety oversight of civil aviation. Those of you wanting to fly to Brazil, read ANAC Resolution 178 about the procedures
South-East Asia Aeronautical Information sites
European Aeronautical Information sites
These sites will help you fly safely through European airspace:
- Eurocontrol eAIP -- Latest developments at EUROCONTROL
- LVNL Homebriefing -- Luchtverkeersleiding Nederland Integrated Briefing, the online flightplan and briefing solution.
- Air Traffic Control the Netherlands -- Official site for ATC Netherlands
- PilotFriend -- Airport database, Flight planning, Medical information
- UK - Civil Aviation Authority -- The UK's specialist aviation regulator
- Germany - DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH -- Die DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH ist für die Flugverkehrskontrolle in Deutschland zuständig
- Germany - Military Airports -- Military Aeronautical Information Publication Germany, Zentrum Luftoperationen
- AIP Polska -- The Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) of Poland is published and distributed by the Polish Air Navigation Services Agency
- Hungary Aeronautical Information Service -- AIS, NOTAMs, ARO and publications, English and Hungarian
- Austro Control -- Austro Control ist verantwortlich für einen sicheren und wirtschaftlichen Ablauf des Flugverkehrs im österreichischen Luftraum
- Belgo Control -- Belgium AIS site, flight planning and Meteo information
- AIP France -- Service De L'Information Aeronautice, full AIP, AIC and NOTAMs of France
- AIP Spain -- AIPSPAIN Aeronautical Information Services
- NAV Portugal -- NAV Portugal Aeronautical Information Services
- ENAV Italia -- Italian Aeronautical Information Services
- AVINOR - IPPC -- Norwegian Aerdrome and Air Navigation Services
- Tactical Air Command Denmark -- Flight Information Service Denmark, Military Aircrews
- Danish Civil Aviation -- Part of the Danish Transport Authority
- Swedish Airports -- Flight planning in Sweden, registration required
- AROWeb – AIS MET and Flight Planning -- Selfbriefing system for Sweden and Nordics
Electronic flight bags, EFB
In these modern times we have small electronic devices running dedicated software capable of downloading full AIPs from several countries on one device making the process of keeping up to date even more easier. But do make sure that your subscription is paid for, valid and updated.
Written by EAI.